Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking at TriLogi PLC.. any other low cost alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest0527211403

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Hi all,

I have an old project from my last year of college sitting in my basement that I'd like to bring "back to life".

Originally it was controlled using an OMRON CS1G controller, and that was definitely overkill for this control application (those were the PLCs available to us at the time). I had to give the PLC back to the school after I graduated. Actually, I was very happy with the OMRON PLC and its programming software (CX-Programmer). However, the cost of purchasing a new one (even a micro) is a bit of a deterrent, considering this is more of a pet-project.

I have been researching my alternatives, and (through Eng-Tips banners) I have found the TriLogi line of embedded PLCs.

I like the relative size of TriLogi PLCs, and they seem simple enough to program for my application. My application does not require any overly-complicated programming instructions, and I believe that the Ladder+Basic style of programming offered by TriLogi PLCs will work very well for my needs.

However, before I fork out a few hundred dollars on my new control system, I'd like to ask the group if they have had any experiences with these PLCs in the past, postitive or negative. Also, is there anything comparable on the market?

As of now, my criteria are (in order):

1)Form Factor (size)
2)Cost
3)Ease of programming
4)Remote operation (web-based monitoring/control is a plus)

It seems to me that the TriLogi PLCs fit in with all of these. Is there anything else on the market that I should be looking at?

I am a Mechanical Designer, so control system design generally isn't what I do (unless I'm designing an enclosure). Like I mentioned, I'd just like this "invention" of ours to stop collecting dust. I actually want to get my girlfriend's younger brother to help me get this going, as he is at that stage of his life where he has to choose a college program. He's a smart kid, so I want to introduce him to the world of engineering with some hands-on work. My uncle did it for me and here I am!

Thanks, any help is appreciated [smile]

-Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Schneider makes 2 types;

A programmable relay: The Zelio; chepeast and depending on number of I/O it is all you need.

A PLC: The Twido; a little more expensive but can get analogs as well if need be.

Regards,
TULUM

Have a look at the Siemens LOGO! controllers. They offer similar facilities to the Schneider Zelio range, but in my opinion the hardware is built to a better standard.

The online catalog system is so huge that it is a pain in the butt to use, but the products are good. The paper catalogs are equally awful to use, but make excellent doorstops.

------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

I have used the LOGO as well. It is a good controller, and very comparable to the schneider products. I did not see any hardware benefits however, they are almost identical!

I would really be interested in knowing what benefits you see Scotty?? I mean there really is nothing to either of the controllers???

Regards,
TULUM

Hi Tulum,

I agree that from a user interface point of view there is little to choose between the two ranges. The Siemens product is perhaps a little better established in the market than the Telemecanique range, but that could well change over time as the Siemens range has been around longer.

It is just a personal opinion, but I think that Schneider's automation divisions have, across their European range at least, replaced some old-established product ranges with alternatives that are less well constructed and have poorer reliability when compared to their predecessors and when compared to their main competitors.

I've had a few of the new Zelio range products simply die on me for no apparent reasons - timers and the like, not the more sophisticated modules like the Zelio 2 - as well as problems with other parts of the Schneider range: emergency stop buttons where the contact block falls off the actuator, leaving the drive running; ACBs where the protection modules failed; contactors burning up on loads within rating and within ambient temperature range; motor thermal overload relays which won't reset; etc.

I've just had a Modicon PLC arrive on site as part of a packaged system, and I had major reservations to the extent that I considered paying a premium to have an A-B or Siemens PLC instead beause of the bad history that Schneider has at our plant. Users on Eng-Tips say that the Telemecanique PLC it is actually a very good product, so I've accepted their advice and allowed it to be used. Time will tell!

Scotty,

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune with Schneider products. I have designed and commishioned literally hundreds of schneider units which included many items from pushbuttons, disconnect switches, PLC's, all the may to their line of Merlin Gerin MV breakers and really had no problems...no problems at all...

The only thing I can tell you is delivery from Schneider is very lengthy and sometimes can get you in a jam.

Regards,
TULUM

Tulum,

Interesting: I find their stuff dead easy to get hold of. Delivery is the curse of Siemens over here in the UK - other than really common items, almost everything is made 'just in time', or more accurately 'just a bit too late', in the German plant and we have to wait a few days for it to be shipped over. It makes increased stockholding on site a problem which we could do without.

Another thing to keep in mind when determining what type of PLC to use is the cost of the associated software / hardware for programing the unit. Software can be very expensive for some units.
Although we are phasing our Keyence units because of
communication capabilities, I find them to be a pretty reliable unit and the software is not very expensive.
Last year I had a salesmen demonstrate a new pico unit from Moeller that was small and easy to program. I believe you could program it from the display on the face of the unit and avoid buying any software at all. This Moeller unit may be a perfect fit for a pet project where the speed of programming the unit is not an issue becuase of lost production.
You will have to look at the communications for each of these units for your application.

Good luck,
Afterhrs

Probably a bit late joining the conversation, but AB Micrologix 1000 & 1200 are also reasonably priced. The 1000 is fixed I/O, the 1200 fully expandable (including analog).

We would need about 12 inputs and 8 relay outputs. I am looking into a JKmicro controller because of its control via PicBasic (thanks nbucska).

I still kind of like the TriLogi though because the programming software is free, and it comes packaged with a little LCD screen that would work quite well for this application.

Etom- thanks for the offer to donate a controller, & thanks to all for your replies.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back