Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for 3D design program for automotive electrical design

Status
Not open for further replies.

robracing671

Electrical
Jun 14, 2011
Hello, I’m looking for a 3D based program for automotive electrical design. More orientated towards building basic electrical systems for the aftermarket. And routing harness’s within vehicle SW body models. No plans on using it to build internal circuits and such. We currently use SolidWorks so my initial thought is to go with the premium version and use Routing but…I see there are also other options like WireWorks. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest contacting a local reseller of WireWorks to arrange an on-site demo ... or see if they have a trial version.

How does the upgrade cost of SolidWorks Premium compare to WireWorks?

Solisworks routing will get the job done but CATIA for electrical routings and components is by far the best. Well, CATIA is better than anything else out there for everything, just my .02 cents.

-Joe
SolidWorks 2009 x64 SP 5.1 on Windows XP x64
8 GB RAM - Nvidia Quadro FX1700

From experience with Solidworks Routing, I hope you do not have a problem with 3D sketches. That was the harderst part for me to get use to. Then again I also we just dealing with single conductor wires and not trying to run multiple wires with multiple break offs in a harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back