Looking for a continues fluid level sensor 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanosSSCS

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2020
US
Hello all,

I'm looking for a continues level sensor for a water tank, about 10 inches deep. The tank is made out of stainless steel. I found a GEMS sensor, xt-300, that would meet the requirements but they cost over $600 each! One of the caveats for the sensors is the mounting, as there is minimal clearance above the tank, less than 2". Gems offered a panel mounting sensor which would be ideal. Also, a digital output is preferred, 0-10 VDC. Any advice on where I could have better luck finding a sensor for this sort of application? Tank reservoir would be at atm pressure, with temp range between 10 and 70 deg C. Thank you for your assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you considered a pressure sensor at the bottom of the tank? Deeper water = higher pressure at the bottom. I've used them successfully. I've even used toilet bowl flush valves that work on the same principle.

Two very important questions: (1)What are the results of failure? and (2) Is some fail-safe device required?

(One company I worked for accidentally flooded all the offices of a major customer when a level sensor on a water tank failed late on a Friday night.)

There are submersible sensors that you can drop to the bottom of the tank.

Do you have compressed air available? You could measure the pressure required to blow bubbles through a straw to the bottom of the tank. This works for dirty fluids.

Jboggs - The tank holds about 4 Liters and is ~9" inches tall, with changing surface area. Would a pressure sensor work here? If we overflow we run the potential of damaging the rest of the equipment but no real significant exposure there.

TugboatEng - we do have compressed air, but the tank is a for a portable unit to be used for physical therapy.

It wouldn't take much electronics to turn the pressure signal into a volume reading.
Any sensor you use will be measuring the depth, so if you want actual volume it will take some calculation.
Do you need a continuous signal or just a high and low setting?
We had systems with two pressure switches, one set for high and low, the other set for high-high and low-low as backup.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

ifm Efector PN2298 is a -5 to 100.4 in W.C. pressure sensor with two outputs that can be either setpoint switching or analog. It's about a $200 sensor.

We us this sensor commonly for tower water tanks of varying sizes, installed off the tank drain so we have a purge valve handy to allow any sediment to be blown out.

Barksdale, Balluff, a few other brands make a comparable product.

EdStainless - preferably a continues signal, but point to point can be considered.

Rputvin - thank you for your input. I looked up some of the sensors and they seem to work at much higher Pressures deltas than what we would be in our application, only a 4L water tank.

What are you using this signal for?

There are lots of devices that can control water level without providing a water level signal per se.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There are tiny air pumps such as are used in aquariums that could be used with a bubbler tube and an air pressure sensor. Mouser lists a large number of rather precise 10inch of H2O sensors pressure sensors - They are mostly under $100, some under $50. You may need an amplifier if the 10V is a requirement or it's to directly drive some power component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back