Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for a good book on material properties 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

renasis

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2002
US
I am trying to find a good book on material properties. I would like to find a book that focuses on primarily on metals and plastics. Anybody know of one?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is such an open-ended question about a huge field. Can you narrow your request? Are you interested in an introductory, university freshman level text book? You probably will need 2 books, by the way.

As far as information density and cost, it would be hard to beat these two:

Metals Handbook Desk Edition, 2nd Edition

Plastics Materials, 7th Edition

available here:

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Cory,

Thanks for the reply. I have attempted to narrow my request in the paragraphs below:

Our company manufactures fractional horsepower electric motors. We are currently upgrading from Autocad to SolidWorks, as such, we are updating all of our parts from Autocad to SolidWorks. This includes setting the material properties for each part. Each material requires basic properties. Examples include density, tensile strength, elastic modulus..etc. These properties are used in Cosmos.

Our main source of properties is Matweb.com. This site is an excellent place to find properties for materials that have a specific composition and undergo a specific manufacturing process. However, sometimes you run into problems. Say, for instance, that I want to specify a 303 stainless steel screw. If you punch this into Matweb it brings up 24 different types of 303 SS. Any one of these types would work for my application, but I want to know which type could be purchased as a *stock* screw. This is more important than a slightly better property here or there. Eventually, after spending additional research time, I would determine which of these material types is industry standard and use its properties.

I would like to find a book that could help reduce the time needed to select the type of material. I am trying to find a book that has properties published in a drill down table similar to the results returned by Matweb, but with a brief descripton about the material. The description would indicate whether the particular material is considered an industry standard for a group of parts. It would also inlcude a brief note on how the composition/manufacturing process effects its properties.

Do you know of such a book?

Try "Materials Selector". It used to be an annual publication of Materials Engineering. Great desktop reference. I'm not sure it's still published, you might need to find an older copy.

"Henry H. Clauser, former Chief Editor and Publisher of Materials Engineering and the Materials Selector (an annual guide to the properties of materials) and Editor of Research Management, is a consultant and freelance writer and editor." taken from this website:

I would start with the really big catalogs; Grainger, McMaster Carr, etc. The problem is, as I see it, is determining “industry standard”. Our rule of thumb here is that “Good engineering starts with the Grainger Catalog”. That is supposed to mean that you design to build using readily available parts. The problem is that Grainger and others use different suppliers for the same item and the quality and / or specifications can vary.

If I were doing your project here in Tacoma, WA I would go to Tacoma Screw products and ask them. They are a big supplier and do a lot of custom work.

If you are lucky maybe you can find someone similar.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

My all time favorite metal reference is a Jorgensen Steel & Aluminum Reference Book for identifying basic material properties and stock sizes. It's an excellent guide for the design engineer that only needs basic material properties, application uses and available raw material sizes.

Many of the sources being cited provide "typical" meaning average properties. If you design for a zero margin of safety, you'll get 50% failure rates in many cases.

MIL-HDBK-5, now known as MMPDS provides minimum properties which can be trusted. Google these and you should be able to download a copy. MIL-5 was free for anyone who wanted it. I don't know about MMPDS. It used to be free when the DoD supported it but now you have to buy it from the FAA.

Another excellent source is hte Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook. It is a mix of typical and minimums.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back