Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for a KYZ pulse reading realy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAZ55

Electrical
Oct 24, 2007
US
I am trying to figure out a way to get KYZ pulses from a revenue meter into a SEL3530. I am therefore looking for a middleman relay that would take KYZ output from the revenue meter and then convert that info. to a serial modbus or DNP communication to take over to a SEL3530.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm seeing more and more people ask me for this in my current line of work. There aren't many people out there that do it. I'd try a google search and see what you come up with. I've never used one personally, but I know they are out there and hard to find. I won't tell you who to look at as I don't want to recommend one when I have no clue how good or bad they might be.

One option if this is a standard socket meter: Transdata makes a revenue meter (Mark V) that will output it's data over DNP3 or MODBUS. In this case, you'll get whatever data the meter has. With a KYZ pulse you are really only getting kW and kWH data. If thats all you want, fine, but if you want all the data the meter has to offer then you'll need to look into something like the Transdata option. Itron currently doesn't offer anything that will handle any protocols outside of PSEM or QDIP protocols-and nothing out there really talks those either. Problem with the Mark V is you are going to end up putting $3000+ into a new meter most likely. But, how much labor/effort on your part does that save as well? Something to consider.

Another option if you can install small CTs (included with the meter purchase) and utilize a DIN rail mount is the Leviton 1000 or 2000 Series meters. Those are digital meters that talk DNP3 or MODBUS as well-and they are CHEAP (<$500 if you don't want anything too fancy). They make an indoor and an outdoor version.

Most socket meter manufacturers are currently more concerned about screwing around with their metering/revenue collection systems (AMI/AMR) and calling it "Smart Grid" than they are about actually bringing their data into a utility standard protocol so you can get into it with a SCADA system or standard protocol converter/data concentrator for use on the utility side. Hence why I think "Smart Grid" is a marketing gimic... Beware whenever someone says "Smart Grid" But I digress...

Good luck, let us know how your search goes.

This is an interface with a Utility, which only provides KYZ output from their meters. I just need to get a pulse counter that can support serial modbus or DNP to SEL 3530.

You might want to consider a small micro-PLC that can accept discrete inputs. Or, since you have an SEL-3530, you probably have some SEL relays. One of these may have unused discrete inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back