Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for a paper on Sower's DCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpdonahue

Civil/Environmental
Aug 6, 2011
US
I've seen it referenced several times here, but have not been able to find a copy. Looking for the following paper
"Dynamic CPT for Test-Pit Field Investigations: Experiences with Sowers' Cone Penetrometer" by L.E. Robinson that provides several equations to correlate Sowers' DCP blows to SPT.
Anyone have a copy of it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not have the paper . . . Having not been able to read the paper, remember that proper correlations depends on the soils investigated - i.e., local correlations rather than "global" ones.

I did find another - although it is a comparison using a 10 kg hammer, not 6.5 kg . . . but you might find it interesting . . .file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/Download/DerivingSPTN-ValuesfromDCPTestResultsTheCaseofFoundationDesigninaTropicalEnvironment.pdf Here is another paper with the German DCP file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/Download/512-Article%20Text-1267-1-10-20190204.pdf

This appears to be the Sower's paper:

I spent 18 years at Law Engineering...the company was founded by George Sowers. George was a phenomenal geotechnical engineer who had international experience and influence. He was an engaging speaker and developed the geotechnical procedures and processes we all used at Law. One of my favorite memories of George was that we had monthly engineering meetings in our branch office at Law. On one occasion, George was consulting with one of the geotech engineers in our office and was in town on the night of our monthly meeting. The project engineer with whom George was consulting was a religious teetotaler. George showed up that night at our engineering meeting with two six-packs....and proceeded to drink a few with those of us who did! Good guy. My saddest memory of George was attending his memorial service when he passed. He was truly a giant in the Geotechnical Engineering profession.

I have used the "Sowers Penetrometer" many times in my career. It is a good site specific tool for evaluation of near surface soil conditions. Attached is his original paper on the dynamic cone penetrometer.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e7fa4ecb-7ec7-480e-9b44-7b7bd07c13a9&file=STP44629S-DL.17231.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back