Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a power supply sized for a 1U rack mount enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristaC

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2003
CA
Do you know of, or recommend, a power supply that would fit within the 1U case? Most power supplies I’ve found are significantly larger than your case in their height dimensions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A power supply to supply what? If you give us a little more information such as output voltage(s) and current(s) and the input voltage, we may be able to help.

------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Need to know wattage, inputs (115V or 115V/230V), Outputs. Do you want a switching supply (most likely to find in a low profile) or a linear regulated?

Designed a 3-output linear regulated 1U once. Used a torroid xfmr, and some real short electrolytics.

A 1U height is not an easy task. Many small switchers are not enclosed, so you have to consider clearance to the top, and how to insulate.

Christa,

I recently designed a 1U enclosure and selected the power supply. The application was a 180-200W supply for Pentium4 motherboard, drives, fans, etc. Of course, your application may be different, but here's a list of some sources I found:

We chose a supply from Sparkle, the smallest of the small, and have been happy with it. It's tightly packed, so make sure you don't restrict the airflow to/from it.

ko (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back