Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a "traditional" job after a startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgrimley

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2007
US
Hi,

Just graduating with a MSME from a top 5 school right now.

I have two job offers: one from a neat startup which has funds for 5 years right now (it will take that long to get a product to market), and one from a tradition defense contractor. Obviously, the startup work is much more interesting and potentially more rewarding, but I'm curious if employers would view startup experience as a negative if I want to try and find a traditional 9-5 job afterward (success or fail). Does a failed startup look worse than a successful one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nope. Pick a job you like that pays what you think you are worth. If you can't see yourself going there from 9-5, then don't go.

As far as a startup vs non? How your resume depicts your work duties also depicts what the recruiter feels about startups.

--Scott

Most resumes that I see have an average of 1.5-2 years per job. Someone that made it 5 years and then could say they left because the business failed would elicit two emotions: (1) "Damn, he stuck it out 5 years"; and (2) "what was his contribution to the business failure?". The first is positive and the second is a non-event for someone in their first job (i.e., no one expects a new engineer to be in a position where they can materially affect the business' failure).

If the money works and you like the people at the start-up I'd go that way since you are pretty negative on the Defence Contractor (which will probably come across in your enthusiasm at work).

David

...(i.e., no one expects a new engineer to be in a position where they can materially affect the business' failure)...

On the flip-side, what kind of contribution does a start-up expect from a new engineer? Are there going to be any experienced engineers there to guide/mentor you or will you be the engineering department?

@spciesla:

This is a company who currently has 6 engineers (a mix of ME/EE/Astro) .. mostly young with varying degrees of experience (probably all fewer than 5 years except the principal).

@swertel:

I surely would not be paid what I am worth, and it's not even a 9-5 gig--more of a 9-9 gig. It's mostly about the experience and the freedom. I'm young and soon-to-be unattached. No obligations or debt, although not much savings either.

Well, if I were in your position, then I'd pick the start-up, too. The potential, assuming the start-up makes it, is usually quite enticing.

If I may ask, what start-up? You can always tweet me @swertel. Just sounds really interesting that you have Astro engineers on staff. That puts you somewhere in the realms of the new race-to-space and commercialization of space. Pretty cool field to get into the ground floor of.

--Scott

tg:
I would say go with the one you would enjoy doing more. Plus there is always a value to learning something not many people know. If you just pick up a routine job, you will only end up being one of many, available dime a dozen.

Failure of first employment has little effect on the rest of your career but a learning something special would have great rewards.

I agree that it sounds like the start-up is a better fit for you. Ultimately, the number of hours are just a factor to be considered in determing satisfaction/happiness. There are many jobs/projects I would rather work at 9-9 compared to some traditional 9-5.

Also, I think that if there are people you can learn from at the start-up, it's a great opportunity. I'm of the opinion that a lot more is typically learned for young engineers in a smaller company as opposed to a huge company where the "inexperienced" are often brushed aside. Maybe there's not a big difference on the technical learning (which is more dependant on the person, IMO), but in learning responsibility. The education provided by being "thrown into the fire" can be great. (Although not usually if it's done as primarily a cost saving measure...)

-- MechEng2005

Look at the track record of the founder(s.) If they are in the habit of starting a company every few years, then you may find yourself with "non traditional" experience.

Also look to see if the firm is diversifying into other fields or that their "future" product has more than one application.

Also is the firm just concentrating on just this one research or do they have a few projects in the pipelines at various stages of development.

There are many opportunities in the engineering field, most of which are exciting. So don't fall in love with a start up unless you think the chances of success is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back