Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for advice for reliable compressed gas/air flowmeter brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

giangnguyen92

Aerospace
Oct 3, 2019
VN
Hi everybody,

At this moment, I am looking for a suitable flowmeter for compressed air discharging from a tank via a pressure reducing valve with the following characteristics:
Pipe size: DN100 with flanges
Flow rate: Up to 5400 kg/h (1.5 kg/s) of 3-5 bar pressure compressed air after a pressure reducing valve.

I really appreciate if you guys can tell me your recommendation from your experience:
- which flowmetering mechanism is best fit for my case (vortex flowmeter or electromagnetic anything else)
- which brand (OMEGA or Krohne or anyone else) is reliable and which one has reasonable price.

Thanks so much your your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the special on your compressed air/gas system?
It looks that the orifice plate is a simply reliable and reasonable to be used in a typical compressed air/gas application.

Omega isn't a brand. They sell other manufactures' products at a PREMIUM. But, you pay the premium because they're a one stop shop and have staff on hand to answer the question you have just asked. If you can afford Omega, I would simply ask them, that way you get the most value out of your purchase.

Well first you need to define a bit more what you want as this is like saying can someone recommend a good car at a reasonable price

So what is max / min flow you want to measure or turndown? Anything over 10:1 will be difficult and 5: 1 would be better

What is the uncertainty you want? (meter people always say uncertainty, not "accuracy", but it's really the same thing. Anything below 1% you start to pay more for.

What are you actually measuring? = CFM or mass or velocity?? Do you have accurate pressure transmitters to supply pressure data or is this to be included?

How far away from your PRV can you mount this meter? The best meters need ~10-20D straight length.

Power supplies or batteries?

Just a read out or input to a control system / remote read out?

"Reasonable price" - Needs defining - my reasonable price might be $2000, yours might be $200. So which is it?

These are all questions any reputable supplier will ask you so you need to think about it and create a data sheet or ask them for a data sheet and fill it in.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back