Looking for an engine with all specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thijs_02

Automotive
Dec 22, 2019
NL
Hey guys,

I'm writing doing research for my new conceptual engine, and I need a reference engine to see if my concept is any good.
Therefore, I'm looking for a N/A engine of which all specifications are known. With all specifications, I mean the following:
- Displacement volume
- Piston ring tension
- Compression ratio
- Building material (aluminum, cast iron, etc.)
- Dimensions of the engine
- Injection method (Direct injection, port injection, etc.)
- Air-fuel ratio
- Recommended type of fuel (E86, E89, etc.)
- Weight
- Power
- Torque
- Efficiency

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you *actually* trying to simulate, and what information do you *actually* need? Do you *really* need to know the piston ring tension if you are proposing a different combustion concept? Do you *really* need a full mathematical model of the whole thing if all you really need is a dyno chart?

Have you bought an actual production engine, and dyno-tested it, and taken it apart to make measurements?

Do you know what a P-V diagram is? Do you know what that is for an idealized Otto cycle, and for an idealized Diesel cycle, and how they relate to actual real world engines, which operate neither on the idealized Otto cycle nor the idealized Diesel cycle, and why that's the case?

Do you know what a BSFC map is?

If you really knew what you were going to do with this information, you wouldn't be asking for it ...

P.S. I work on motorcycle engines for my own (low-level, regional) roadracing addiction. I have the top end of a Yamaha R3 engine apart in my shop right now, waiting for parts.

"Dimensions of the engine" - Two. Three-hundred-and-twenty-one. Sixty-eight. The answer is 42. WHICH dimensions? All of them? Better buy an engine and take it apart, because no single number is going to convey what you are looking for. "A couple of key dimensions" then maybe specify exactly what ... I have this engine apart in the shop, and I can easily give you certain numbers, but you'll have to tell me what you want ... and it has to be a reasonable request, not "everything" ...

I would think highly regulated racing engines (F1, NASCAR, etc) might be a good place to start. When I first started on my engine, I wanted to validate my math, so I built a model of a Formula One engine based on the table of F1 and NASCAR Cup engine specifications given by Epi-Eng. It doesn't give everything you want, but it does give a lot of the key specifications. I found the Epi-Eng's entire Piston Engine Technology series very handy when first starting out.

My F1 math model required only one "kludge factor," heat transfer coefficient of 0.0074688 (vs typical 0.01), to perfectly recreate the figures in Epi-Eng's table. The heat transfer coefficient is used to estimate the actual temperature of gasses in the engine from the theoretical temperature according to ActualTemp = IdealTemp*(1-HeatXferCoeff)+HeatXferCoeff*WallTemp where IdealTemp is from isentropic calculations and WallTemp is 400K. Note I used FMEP of 65.3 psi (per Ricardo's breakdown of friction vs RPM in a high performance engine) and calculated efficiency of 29.3% including estimated friction and heat loss (and assuming 4.5E7 J/kg fuel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back