Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

looking for answers... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi. out there in the world of autocad drafters and draftees.I have just earn my autocad 2000 certification,but can't seem to find anyone to hire me.Due to lack of experience.Suggestions...tips..any thing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Sadcadman.
You don't say where you special interest is.
Are you architect, mechanical eng. electrical eng. marine?
CAD isn't the job, it's the means of doing the job.
I wouldn't hire a fitter to work for me just because he had a nice new set of shiny tools. He would have to demonstrate a good track record (or aptitude if he was young)
I've said before in this forum, desire and ambition are the best qualifications in any job.
Good luck

I starting out by helping a local architect with his odd and ends drafting needs, then progressed to projects. Later I was approached by several diffrent companies for a position. Now I do drafting, civil engineering, with a little web and database development wrapped in. Best thing to do when you begin drafting is to find a company that needs part time help. Even if you have to start working on the 'dreaded board.' It dosen't really mattter what field you work as long as you were able to fit the criteria of your part time employer. After that it's all gravy...

Most manufacturers moving to Solidworks/ProE. Why did you get
into AutoCAD?

This is a recession too.

I agreee with Rentapen, go into plumbing, where there is ready work, and go back to school for Solidworks or ProE. AutoCAD
is crap.

You definately earn your name Sphinc. AutoCAD draftsman are the workhorses of the drafting crowd regardless of what you might think. ProE or Solidworks might bring higher pay, but there are probably 10 times more (if not more) jobs out there from plain old CAD draftsman per one ProE or SW. If your are in an area that has been hit by the recession, then you can understand the benefits of job choice. I have been helping students in both Solidworks and standard CAD classes and nearly the entire class of pregraduate AutoCAD students have found jobs in Boeing, Exxon, Hughes, and several others. Solidworks and ProE, as well as Inventer, pregraduates really have to work at gitting jobs right now. AutoCAD operators have the option of working in these large companies or with your local contractor or electric company. There are simply more jobs available, and most are highering with the foresight of future training in other areas such as SW, ProE, GIS, INV, and ADT.

RivieraCadMan, learn how to spell!! If a person has a desire he/she can get a job
in drafting knowing Proe or Autocad. Drafting can sometimes be a "stepping stone" to
a better position. You have to do something that you enjoy! The good thing about Proe is that it allows you to get a better picture of a part before you produce it. It also
allows you to make sure that your part fits into the assembly that it was meant for. I know both and I prefer Proe. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back