Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for basic FEA theory book with ANSYS focus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

umatrix

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2013
US
Hi All,
I am learning ANSYS workbench.

I am looking to understand what is happening behind the scenes. Can anyone recommend a good book that covers the basics ? I would prefer not to get drowned in details but at least understand what the software is doing.

Background
3D part is meshed with 2d tria elements , then 2d elements turned into 3D element and problem solved for stresses , strains etc.
Is the solution computed on 2D the elements or the 3-D elements or both? For some reason previous studies of this problem give the results on the 2d. I am looking to understand this process how/why 2D/3D elements work together.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe check "Finite Element Analysis. Theory and Application with Ansys" by S. Moaveni. However, most books are either about the general theory of FEM (which is pretty much the same regardless of the software) or about the usage of a particular program. Apart from the books, I definitely recommend the use of software documentation, as it’s usually the best source of information and examples. Chapters discussing theory can be particularly useful for you as they focus on the implementation of FEM in given software.

I’m not sure what you mean by the analysis involving 2D and 3D elements. Are you talking about the connection of shell and solid elements ? In FEA, 2D can be understood in two ways - as modeling space (XY in 2D, XYZ in 3D) or as element geometry. You can’t directly switch from 2D to 3D modeling space but you can easily use 2D and 3D elements (shells and solids) in the same analysis.

Try this chapter from Prof. Allen Bower's book. If you want an even simpler introduction, this lecture by Prof. Scott Hollister is a breezy read. COMSOL has a very nice blog as well.

However, these are high-level introductory notes/blogs. As noted above, documentation for ANSYS will always be your best resource.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Take a look at- faq727-2021.

Lot of books to choose from. For ANSYS-The Finite Element Method and Applications in Engineering Using Ansys by Erdogan Madenci and Ibrahim Guven is also good book with some elementary theory of FEM and main focus on how-to in ANSYS APDL.

The book suggested by FEA way - Finite Element Analysis. Theory and Application with Ansys" by S. Moaveni is also good with lot of focus on elementary theory and example and introduction to ANSYS APDL/Workbench.

But if you want to know what software is doing behind the scenes, you should know the basics of FEM and should read the basic FEM book first with its difficult math like - Finite element procedures by K J Bathe.

Also you can search ANSYS APDL theory reference manual for more details for behind the scene calculations in Ansys. ANSYS's New platform/GUI is Workbench but it still uses the APDL solver so the books above will be good reference.

If you want just a flavor of FEA, try - Building Better products with Finite Element Analysis by Adams & Askenazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back