Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for bicycle component engineers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tradtimbo

Civil/Environmental
Jan 30, 2008
US
I'm currently a civil PE looking to expand my horizons with a ME degree. I'm also looking to get into the design/building/testing of bicycle components. I would like to talk with some engineers already in the field to find out about their path, and the tools/software they use. Anyone out there?

Thanks all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just remember you don't go into the Bike Industry to make "good" money. You do it because you have a passion for bikes. I have a friend who use to be a test engineer for a Bike Suspension company. It was a tough job because it was at a time when that technology was very new to bikes. In the early 1990's their were a lot of "cottege industry" companies who were producing components that were for the lack of a better word junk. The industry was caught up in pretty anodized colors, CNC machined parts and anything made out of titanium. Most of these companies faded away at the turn of the century as the consumer demanded durability and reliability. And the tools and processes to increase durability, reliability and design were expensive.

I have very close ties to the bike industry. In fact, I have some designs that I currently sell through a few resellers. The industry has changed a lot since I bought my first mtn bike a 1985 Stump Jumper.

I don't see the need to go back to school for a ME. If you have some structural analysis skills and can take some MCAD classes at your local college that should be good. Solid Works and Pro/Engineer are the popular MCAD programs used. Both of those MCAD programs have their own FEA packages. Some of the larger companies use Nastran.

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

This post contains no political overtones or undertones for that matter and in no way represents the poster's political agenda.

precicely why i got out of the bike industry but am now working back in it...a certain element of fun thats hard to find anywhere else but drop me a line if theres anything you want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back