Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for efficiency curves for AvK generator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuma

Electrical
Jul 2, 2006
ES
Dear all,
I am looking for the efficiency curves of an AvK generator, coupled to a 339 CAT engine. The nameplate data:

Type: DIB130F/6D
Year: 1976
Voltage: 380/220
Current: 1750 A
Power: 1150 kVA
Cos phi: 0,8
Speed: 1000 rpm
Frequency: 50 Hz

AvK no longer exist, they eventually became Cummins, we have contacted them but it seems that the information is not available.

If anybody has a similar generator, even if the curves are not available but there is some efficiency figure, etc, I'd appreciate if you would be willing to share it.

Kind regards

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dfa04d98-3139-4eaa-95cf-ce6ec8bdfb51&file=AvK_generator.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The efficiency of this unit is more affected by the engine fuel consumption than by the generator end.
It is not that good.
If the unit is loaded and running a lot of hours per day, you can possibly make the payments on a new, efficient set with the fuel savings alone.
This is something that it is well to investigate before starting any expensive repairs on that old machine.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Thanks to both of you,

Warross: you are right, the efficiency of the generator is not that important; the reason I am looking for this data is that it is required by the local regulation.

Catserveng: thanks for the data! By the way, a colleague of mine has just found what appears to be the exact figures, and as you expected, they are similar to what the Stanford web says, just 0,5 to 0,7% difference.

Thanks again

I seem to remember that the international standards do not require the manufacturers to provide curves, only that the nominal efficiency is stated at 50% 75% 100% load at rated power factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back