Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for fire resistant hydraulic fluid alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lombardo

Petroleum
Jun 8, 2002
MX
Hi,
I´m looking for a fire resistant hydraulic fluid such as the Skydrol LD4, do you know another alternative that meets the MIL 0646 requirements, I need to have more alternatives not only the solutia Skydrol?
Thanks in advance
Alejandro Peterson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The military never used skydrol as far as I know. They used to use a vegetable based fluid, that I know has since been replaced with a synthetic version. Off the top of my head I don't know the spec.

It's the same fluid used inside an oleo strut of a commercial aircraft.

MIL-H-83282

supposedly a direct replacement for 5606, but more fire resistant.

Used in the Cessna Citation "CJ" series. Much friendler to us maintenance folks then skydrol

Thanks Swall and Thruthefence. Those were the specs I couldn’t recall.

When I was in the USMC (as a wee lad), hydraulic fluid was 5606 (A6Es around 1974).

Most of my heavy jet wrench time I was around and way too often in Skydrol. That's some nasty stuff!

Years later while working my way through school I did a stint with a commuter outfit and saw MIL-H-83282.

Much nicer to work around.

You might also consider MIL-PRF-87257 (NATO H-538). This fluid is a little harder to find but has slightly better viscosity at low temperatures compared to MIL-H-83282 (NATO H-537). 87257 is "rated" for -54C to +200C while 83282 is for use in the range of -40C to +205C. As I recall, neither are quite as good as good ole MIL-H-5606 at lower temperatures. But MIL-H-5606 burns readily. These others burn slowly and in most conditions will self extinguish.
I would not use Skydrol unless I had compelling reasons to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back