Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking For Good Reinforced Concrete Book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Jul 3, 2002
US
I am looking into buying a good reinforce concrete book. I have read some reviews but I still have not found "the book" to get.

I really appreciate if you guys can suggest which is the most widely used Reinforce Concrete Book in practice.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've always been very impressed with Wang & Salmon's "Reinforced Concrete Design". Used to be published by Harper & Row.

Where are you based, there's no point buying a UK book if you're in the US and vice versa.

Also, who are you working for, do you need a book that just deals with the EU standards, and does them in depth or do you need a book that covers BS8110 and the EU standards?

I'm use to Nilson's book - it is in something like its 17th edition (and, sadly, now has its first non-Cornell author!). Used to be Winter and Nilson and before that something else. A progression of continuing authorship. You might also want to check out Fintel's Handbook of Concrete Engineering ISBN:81-239-0843-1 Von Nostrand. I have the 2nd edition but there may be later ones.

Try Reinforced Concrete Mechanics & Deisgn by James G. MacGregor and published by Prentice Hall. I've had it since college and I still refer to it. It's very thorough and easy to follow. My edition is the 3rd, but there may be a later one out there.

I have the Nilson book in the 13th edition and the MacGregor book in its 4th edition. Both are excellent in my opinion. You should consider owning the ACI 318 code, the PCA notes on the 318 code and the PCI Design Handbook as well. No matter how good the book you buy, one reference will never capture everything.

Thanks for the info. I have the 3rd edition of MacGregor but I want to add another one to my library just in case I need to clarify some of my questions. I had a few more questions.
1. Is the Nilson book by "Arthur H. Nilson, David Darwin, Charles W. Dolan".
2. I am looking into the Wang and Salmon. Is there technical store in the US to purchase these books?
3. What is the official name of PCA notes?

THANKS, THANKS

THanks for the info.

So from MacGregor 4th Edition, Wang and Salmon and Nilson -the only one tht is not up to date with the latest code is Wang and Salmon.

Also, do you guys know where I can find Errata for 3rd Edition of Macregor.

THANKS

A 'thinking outside the box' comment:

A "Good Reinforced Concrete Book" could last 100's or even 1000's of years in the right environment. Maybe a good way to instruct future generations re nuclear waste burial grounds.

Just a side comment: The codes are changing so fast these days it is hard to imagine any book staying up to date with the them. I look at my references for the design and analysis METHODS and then get a copy of the latest code.

Wang & Salmon's book is top notch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back