Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for good stand-alone production programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaminp

Electrical
Feb 19, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a good universal programmer that is capable of writing to UCs like the Zilog Z8?

I need something that meets the following criteria:
1. Stand-alone programmer - works without a computer.
2. Can handle in-system programming of a die mounted on a PCB.
3. Very durable, or disposable, for use in an industrial/production environment.

I am also looking for something that is more universal to handle other processors (Cypress, Renesas, Atmel, etc.) as the product lines evolve. I have looked at the Zilog third party website links, but don't seem to see much in the way of durable, affordable, in-system capability. My other option is to try and develop my own, but I am afraid that is a bigger project than I want to consider. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The microcontrollers rarely have a similar programming interface between brands. The Zilog uses only one pin to do everything from programming to in-circuit monitoring. Others have have a Jtag interface. What I suggest is that you define a box that is made of an industrial computer that will include the CPU card, the programming pod and a software set. There are pre-boxed industrial computer sets that even have an LCD screen. General Digital makes such boxes. The software can run from a solid-state IDE disk Document it as a unit, have security backups, and buy a couple of pods. They're usually cheap.

Data I/O used to have high volume programming machines. I don't know how do they fare with in-circuit programming. If you have such machines in production, the manufacturers of in-circuit testers (HP, Teradyne), or manufacturing defects analysers may offer programming algorithms to combine the prorgamming of these devices along with the test of the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back