Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for hard to find component

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronH

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2003
US
Howdy all, I am looking for some sort of small diameter ball that has the ability to be mounted. Something like a tooling ball, but hopefully much less in price. The ball can either have a tapped hole, threaded stud, press fit hole or straight shaft. Just some method of being mounted. It could possibly be even a half a ball. Tooling balls are around $15, and I am ~hoping~ to pay a dollar or less and find it readily available (i.e. not custom made). So far the best idea has been a round headed rivet. Basically I'd like to find something like a round machine knob, but around 3/16" diameter. I would prefer steel, but brass may work as well. I am probably asking for way too much, but I thought I would see if someone has run across such an animal. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you mention a rivet, you only seem to need about half of a spherical surface, so why not just use a standard hardened ball ? You can press a ball into a reamed hole (most balls are made to inch dimensions). I've designed things using this method. You can also place a ball in a hole and peen the hole rim to retain the ball. Or you can glue the ball into the hole.

Look at ball joint assemblies. McMaster-Carr for example carries a variety of small inexpensive ball joints which are a ball on a small bolt some of which can be easily separated if necessary. Small joints are $1 or $2.

since you need only half a ball consider welding/ brazing or soldering a steel ball in place. hardened steel balls for use in bearings can be obtained in bulk for as low as .20 $ ea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back