Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for ideas how to secure coi

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandraB

Materials
Nov 30, 2020
IE
Looking for ideas how to secure coil on the mandrel after coiling (mandrel 27”) that it would hold on till welding? Currently trying to use tape, but it leaves sticky residue on the liner later. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't you pick a different tape? There are lots of tapes that don't leave residue, like the blue and orange ones at Home Depot, so long as the dwell time is relatively short, i.e., on the order of days.

DO NOT use any form of duct tape in this case, as they do tend to leave residue, even after a day or so.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thank you! I will have a look at your suggested tapes! I’m new enough in catheters world, so I might have some stupid questions every so often😄

The type of tape IR mentioned is self-fusing tape and it has no adhesive. It can only stick to itself so you will only work for applications that you wrap fully around. It typically comes in EPDM or silicone. EPDM will leave residue over time so I suggest silicone. Rescue Tape is a common brand you will find at most hardware stores at least here in the USA.

If you want an adhesive tape, quality masking tape are formulated to leave no residue. There is usually a release window where this is true, 2 weeks is a common timeframe.

I WAS referring to painter's masking tape
blue-3m-painter-s-tape-2090-24ec-64_1000.jpg

This one claims no residue
purple-3m-painter-s-tape-2080-48nc-64_1000.jpg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back