Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for info on "Dog" clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearman1234

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2002
CA
I am solving one problem of dog tooth clutch slippage at load values just 10% above the rated values. I was just wondering if there are any books or websites available which give information about the taper angle on the dog teeth, and their recommendation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alec Stokes wrote a book, "Manual Gearbox Design", that I believe has that information. I could not find the book this morning, I will continue to look. I also have a paper by a Chrysler engineer, I am still looking for it. Hope to have an answer by tomorrow.

The dog clutch I am talking about is having straight face with 2.5 deg face angle and not the involute teeth.
What I am looking for is the optimum design for such a clutch and its design parameters including the face angle .

From page 138 of "Manual Gearbox Design" by Alec Stokes,
"To prevent the face dogs slipping out of engagement while under load, they should be manufactured with a retaining reverse angle of between 5 degrees and 7.5 degrees on their mating faces. This means that the nose or outer end of the dog is the maximum width to be used when calculating the side clearance. However, even with this reverse angle, full face contact must be maintained."

"An angular side clearance of approximately 0.125 inch should be allowed betweeen the face dogs on the engaging dog rings and those on the free-running gears radially when viewed on the face of the dogs. Great care must be taken when designing these face dogs to ensure that full face contact is made when the angular side clearance is taken up."

The other paper I was referring to was "Manual Transmission Synchronizers" by Cocin and Walters, SAE? 680008. This is the best paper I have seen on the design of syncronizers, but I did not see any relevant information in the paper that you were looking for.

After I received information about the book "Manual Gear Box design" - Alec Stokes, I caught hold of that book and got this information. Thank you for suggesting this book.

The angular clearance we have on our transmission is around 0.3 inch. I have to reduce that and we have to increase the taper angle to around 7deg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back