Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for large dia o-ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimD5

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2002
US
I am looking for a large dia o-ring. Hopefully there is a standard size out there with an id of approx. 30".
I've found "make you own" o-ring kits but do not have any experience with how well they hold up in use. Does anyone have any experience with the adhesive type or the vulcanized type?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How big a cross section are you looking for? Commercial 1/4" o-rings are available up to 26" ID. Unfortunately that's about 15% stretch to get to 30", not recommended. I wouldn't wouldn't recommend adhesive bonding for anything but a temporary fix. Vulcanized aren't bad if there are no temperature extremes and you keep the stretch to a minimum.

Its a long shot but sizes like this may also be available in larger cross sections (1/2 to 3/4") from oilfied elastomer suppliers. Stewart & Stevenson is one supplier that comes to mind. Also if you need more than one or two, o-ring molds are 'reasonably' cheap to have made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back