Looking for Protective Cover for HMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wattman

Electrical
May 2, 2001
US
Hello everyone

I have an OEM for whom we integrate their equipment lines coming into the US from Europe. Due to some of the environment and chemicals involved it has been request that we add a protective cover to the PanelView 600 plus displays.

Application:
Mutil- PanelView 600 and 600+

What our customer has envisioned is a simple $30.00 - clear plastic hinged cover "PART" that a PanelView monitor can be slid into before it is mounted in the enclosure. The cover will allow the operator to see the monitor but not touch it. Out side of the "Part" buttons will be installed to simulate the function keys, which the operator will press to make the required actions to the monitor. The part will have a lockable hinge cover that others can use on occasion for actual access to the HMI.

Due to the layout of the equipment and how the existing enclosures are designed, this is the most desirable way, and is not just a matter of selecting an enclosure with a window. One of the reasons for this is the operator will have a dust residue on his hand and in combination with moisture it is harmful to the membrane of the display.

I have spoken with AB about this hoping they had some insight, but no luck. I have seen some equipment coming out of Europe with Siemens HMI with a clear plastic part for some Siemens monitor but have been unable to locate a part number or Manufacture

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may be able to use a protective film available from the 3M company. This would permit the operators to continue using the touch screen and forego the cost of a hinged plastic cover and additional pushbutton interface.

best regards,

PLCSAVVY

I contacted 3M corporation on your behalf since they are a customer. If the touch screen in question is of the capacitive type, you are in luck. If the touch screen is resistive you are out of luck.

best regards,

PLCSAVVY

I know that none of the HMI are of the touch type all have keypads, but the end customer would not go for applying a protective film over the displays. The end customer has seen these on a competitor’s equipment, and is dead-set on the displays being totally covered and lockable.

A touch screen panel view last almost no time in the environment and the keypad unit, the numbers and text as well as color are gone with in a year.

I believe the harm to the display comes from the abrasiveness of the dust sticking to the finger or glove, and not from a actual chemical reaction. As for the viewing area it be comes say cloudy and simply wiping it off the display, scratches and cloudslaws the viewing surface.

Seems that all you need is a hinged cover.
Hoffman corporation makes an aluminum HMI enclosure that has two hinged covers. The rear cover provides rear access to an HMI and the lockable front hinged cover with clear plastic, provides access to the screen. This device will completely encompass the Panel View. You would then need to cut the plastic from the front in an effort to expose only the keypad and not the screen, thus leaving the screen protected.

best regards,

PLCSAVVY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back