Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking For Soft Bushing for Aerospace Application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManchuMoleWarrior

Aerospace
Sep 7, 2004
US
I am looking for a soft Bushing something other than metal. Such as a Rubber Flanged Bushing. Any Idea Welcome. Bushing vendors for aerospace applications?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been advised EDM machining is sometimes not allowed in aircraft parts.Can anyone tell me why? we are looking to modify a small servo piston 1/4" Dia. with a very small internal hole 012 Dia. and the part is 57HRC.Needless to say, that makes it very hard to drill and ream.

"The EDM process is a thermal process that removes material by melting it away. It leaves behind a slightly altered surface which consists of a hard crust or recast layer, and a heat-affected-zone (HAZ) underneath which is usually softer than the base metal. In extreme cases, the recast layer can have micro-cracks and high levels of stress, which can lead to part failure under high levels of cyclic stress loading. The HAZ can also show signs of intergranular attack, as well as microcracking.

For these reasons, the application of EDM in aerospace parts is very carefully controlled and regulated."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back