Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for suitable Profilometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr2003

Materials
Mar 18, 2003
BR
Hello Everybody,
I am about to start some testing on cylindrical samples (2cm diameter x 10cm length) that are subject to wear in a fluidized bed and I am looking for a profilometer for my mesurements of the wear rate on those samples. I have been looking around but it's been hard to find some affordable equipment which could place the dimensions of my samples. Does someone know a profilometer that could meet my needs?
Thanks for the help,
ACR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the wear amounts that you are looking at ? i am looking at this in the perspective that would a profilometer really be what you want ?

Hi mltappu,
Thanks for your interest. I do really need a profilometer as I am acctually measuring the degree of wastage of my material. The information on the mass loss that is given me by the diference in the surface depth along my sample is of my interest - this is the reason for the profilometer or for a surface profiler.
ACR

I'm like "mltappu". Do you really need a profilometer like a Talisurf or Brown and Sharp. These machines measure surface finish in various units, RMS, AA etc. They will also give peak heights within a range depending on the instrument. The don’t measure big deviations from a reference plane. They are made to measure relatively smooth surfaces in the same plane. They will follow some small changes in contour while measuring the surface. They can be exasperating trying to measure small parts.

What you are trying to do is not easy. This why a lot data on wear and abrasion is report in gram/time. It would be great to be able to use a volumetric loss method, calculated from weight loss, like a regular corrosion test. Yours would have to b done on averages for the initial weight. You maybe able to use a profile(shadow box) machine to look at a section profile and measure depths. To compare the surface profile you would put a new one against the used.
They are ways to do what I think you are trying, but they are extremely expensive.

If I think of anything I’ll post it.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back