Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for technical information sources for Protective Relaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnCTech44

Electrical
Feb 11, 2008
CA
I'm looking for sources that explain the theory, applications and typical test methods of numerous types of protective relaying such as line protection, bus protection, transformer protection, breaker-failure protection, generator protection and system stability special protections. I am also looking for sources of technical information for revenue metering of power systems as well as SCADA and telecommunications used in power systems protective relaying and control/monitoring.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi PnCTech44.
You can start from the attached
faq238-1287
Good Luck.
Slava

there are 2 classics in the US market.

The old GE "Art and Science" which is free on the GE website and the West/ABB Protective Relay theory and applications. Areva/Alstom also has a good book. I'm sure others do as well.

These cover a lot, but not all. I have not seen a comprehensive guide on testing, per se. Some things are found in the relay instruction books, others in the test set books, others for papers. You can check relay conference papers such as WPRC, Texas A&M and Georgia tech.

There is a lot on 'dynamic vs. static testing', why? Many in the industry have still (after about 20 years of this technology) have not goten over older testing techniques. These papers are general in nature and have to be vendor neutral, although a little reading between the lines never hurt.

Not an easy thing to approach without some experience and pragmatism.

You might want to have a look at 'Power System Maintenance & Commissioning Practice' published by the IEE. I think I sent it as a suggestion to add to David's excellent FAQ.

It is a good reference book, influenced heavily by the CEGB way of doing things (which is rarely a bad thing) so bear in mind that it reflects British practice in the 50Hz world. The engineers working for National Grid rely heavily on it as a reference.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back