Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for the right composite

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxPlanck

Chemical
Jan 2, 2006
BE
Hi experts,

I'm looking for composite which should fulfil following expectations:
- thermal stability (+150°C)
- strength (tensile strength +100Mpa), retain this strength at this high temperature
- retain its shape at this high temperature

Today we use PES, reinforced with 30% glass fibre. We are searching for a material with the same properties. The problem with our present material is the high cost due to the long cycle time (cooling in the mould after injection moulding). It takes almost 20 minutes, according to our supplier, to manufacture one band with cogs on the outside. This band is used to drive a rotor, which is situated in the band, the band is around this rotor.

I hope my explanation is understandable enough.
Best regards and thanks in advance,
Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should look up your existing materials properties at (it's free). Then search there for other materials with similar properties. Try to use a semi-crystalline polymer because that could give a shorter cycle time. However, semi-crystalline polymers will shrink more than amorphous polymers so you need to account for that.

Chris DeArmitt

"Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthwhile end."
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back