Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for thin sensor for detecting silicon wafers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubilationTCornpone

Electrical
Sep 17, 2001
NL
Hello, all. I'm looking for a very thin sensor that I can use for detecting silicon wafers. It is to be used in a robotic end-effector for the semiconductor industry.

I had previously planned on using a thin capacitive sensor which was to be offered by a certain vendor. Since then, I've been told that this sensor might not be offered after all, so I need to start looking for alternatives.

Help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about some more information, such as what do you mean by thin?
Where is it to be mounted? Barrell, bracket, tube?
What kind of environment? High temp? Wet?
What are you sensing? Presence, location, position, thickness?
What kind of signal? P-N-P, N-P-N, contact closure, analog?
Who have you already tried?

Love your handle by the way. From Lil' Abner right? "If it were not for electricity, we'd all be watching TV in the dark!" ...George Goebell.

For edge detection of the waffer look into a laser sensor from Banner. You need to have the laser located at 4 or 8 inches away from the target. Banner has two types.

Hope that helps you.

Chris Elston
Automation & Controls Engineer
Download Sample PLC Ladder Logic Code
at MrPLC.com

By thin, I mean about 0.1". No special environmental requirements. Also, we only need to detect the wafer presence, and don't have to gauge their precise positions.

All other requirements (type of signal generated, etc) are flexible. We can always use adapter circuitry to modify the signal generated, for example.

If you are refering to the thickness of the sensor, WOW, that is small. The thinnest I was aware of are from Sunx, and they are 3.8mm thick. Good luck. Subvert the dominant paradigm... Think first, then act!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back