Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking for vendor/supplier for Stellite 6 coated parts (wear components in pumps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mech5656

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2014
US
Hello,

The current vendor that I use for Stellite 6 coated wear parts (for centrifugal pumps) is offering long lead times (12 weeks or more). These parts are used in applications like water injections pumps used in oil wells. Can you recommended vendors that can provide 316SST parts coated parts with Stellite 6 ( on ID and OD)? Perhaps you may have used one in the past? Or know someone who works there?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Define what you mean by coating.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Weld overlay? HVOF? Arc spray?
And you think that 12 weeks is too long?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Is this a large production run or individual pieces? I know of a shop on USA West Coast that may be able to do individual pieces but not a large run.

Thank you all for replying to this post.

The process involves hard facing using fusion welded wire "RCoCR-A".
Stellite 6 is cobalt based with main elements Co-30Cr-4W.
Basically, it is a standard fusion welded hard face overlay process.

Edstainless:
Do you mean 12 weeks is a standard time. It used to be 5 weeks. Please let me know. Thanks!

TugboatEng:
Thank you. Do you mind sharing the name of the company? It doesnt hurt to ask them for quote.

Babbitt Bearing Co Inc
(408) 298-1101

I don't know if they specialize in stellite, but they do perform a few metal spray overlay processes in-house.

I came across this outfit looking for some at metal spray repair work. We ended up doing hard chrome instead which they also do in house. Turn around was around 2 weeks.

Any large valve maker does Stellite hardfacing routinely. Many are using plasma-transferred arc process, which yields high quality, low dilution deposits.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back