Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for very easy to use process control and logging software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdunfee12

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2012
US
I am designing a test rig to test a vacuum chamber for structural issues. Currently, I am working with the $108 LabJack U3-LV for the I/O interface, and with the software from AzeoTech, $90 DAQFactory Starter.

And while the above seems up to the task, I am realizing that my programming skills may not be up to the level needed to use DAQFactory efficiently. So, I am wondering if there are other programs out there, which would be easier to use.

I spoke with the folks at AzeoTech, and asked for their recommendation. They said their program actually started out much simpler, without a scripting language. Then, of course, more people kept asking for additional features, which really needed scripting, and which added to complexity over time. People have a wide variety of needs, so perhaps it is difficult to make a super-easy program that meet enough people's needs to make it viable.

I want to ask here, if anyone can recommend a very easy to use program for process control and data acquisition. In my case, I need to record analog data of temperature and pressure, and output a few digital outputs to turn on/off the heaters and vacuum pumps. I would want the ability to set a series of pressure and/or temperature goals at certain time intervals.

-Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe look at this: solely for the purpose of getting a cheap copy of Labview. It has a combination of graphical and conventional programming mechanisms

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

It costs more but it does most if not all of what you listed.

West ProVu 4 single loop controller with setpoint programmer:
- process input (temperature)
- process output (selectable)
- PID control
- setpoint programming for "ability to set a series of pressure and/or temperature goals at certain time intervals."
- a 2nd (auxiliary) input (pressure)
- several discrete outputs, as either alarms or 'event' outputs concurrent with segments of the setpoint program
- datalogging with USB export

These type of PID controllers configure by navigating through a set of parameters whose values are selected from a menu. No scripting.

Data sheet and manuals at this site:

What I didn't see in the spec sheet is whether the data logging export is .csv which can be easily imported into a spreadsheet for graphing or analysis (as opposed to software). But a phone call would answer that for you.

Dan

While I wouldn't usually recommend LabView for much, I must say this sounds like the right fit. AzeoTech's insight is well-informed.

While LabView also suffers the complexity growth fate, for a very constrained set of problems it remains the "simple" graphical tool that it purports to be. You just need to be very careful to do things the LabView way - no custom data formatting, no non-native sensors, no precise timing requirements. If you stay within the bounds of simple process control and data acq, LabView will give you easy access to buttons, lights, indicators and simple if-this-input-then-that-output control.

As an alternative to IRstuff's suggestion, I'd even recommend staying even closer to the wind and get in bed with NI on hardware as well. We've found the 6000 series of USB data acq devices quite useful. Then, assuming you don't want to shell out another $600 for LabView, you'll need to acquire the Student Version that comes with the Sparkfun device from somewhere like Studica.

If this sort of option doesn't fit the bill, have you considered the programmable relay / simple PLC type devices? You'll need to do some searching to find the sweet spot of capabilities, but maybe start with these:

Rockwell Pico
OMRON ZEN
Automation Direct DL05

First, note that the student version of LabView does not permit commercial usage. Though, the $600 cost of the Labview is a bit more than I am comfortable with, it is not out of the question. They seem to sell interfaces in the $150 range, but it may also work with my existing controller.

One reason I was drawn to the DAQFactory software, was the fact that the manufacturer recommended it, and that AzeoTech had a forum group dedicated to it. But, as long as LabView supports it, it may be a viable choice. Labview seems to have some very nice interface features that look very easy to do. But, I will have to check into how LabView is configured for things like Thermisters.

Thank you all for the suggestions,
-Joe

I have a correction on price. The most basic version of LabView is $1,000. And I don't think that will have the features I need. So, the next step up is $2,700, which definitely puts it out of my price range.

-Joe

What you describe in your OP seems to be well within an basic version of Labview. Nevertheless, you can download DAQFactory and see if it's really as complicated as you think. Moreover, the DAQFactory Express, which is perpetually free, might do most of what you want.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back