Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Looking to export parameters from Autodesk Inventor to an excel file, generate multiple parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacktbg

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2017
US
Hello and thanks in advance!

I am looking to replicate something I learned in Siemens NX in school, but now at my job... in autocad inventor. I took an advanced autocad course at the school I went to and we did some really cool stuff in NX, that I want to do for my company now. The basic idea is that we want to generate a list of screws (not bolts, no the bolt catalog won't help) with certain parameters in excel and then be able to change some of them on the fly, multiple at once ideally, and generate a series of parts to print off and do physical testing with. I know this was possible in NX, we did this exact thing with a series of bolts in a lab. But in inventor all the tutorials for linking excel to inventor involve being able to change the parameters and update the model, but I see nothing about mass generating a series of even like 10 parts, etc. Is this even possible in inventor or is this a fundamental limitation? Will this rabbit hole I'm on lead to a dead end?

If I wanted to just change the part parameters for the active file I'm on and "save as" every time, I would just press F1 and use the parameters menu itself but it's tough to do that in an organized and efficient way every time we want to create a series of parts. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back