Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loran Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcus

Electrical
Dec 4, 2005
US
Hi
I am trying to receive Loran (100 KHz) signal using H field and E field antenna.

The E field antenna has o/p impedance 50 ohms and a gain of 20 dB. I pass this signal through a LNA (30 dB gain) and then BPF and I get a very clean loran signal.
The H field antenna has o/p impedance 50 ohms and a gain of 20 dB. I pass this signal through the same circuit and then I pass it through another 30 dB gain amplifier (as H field recieved signals are weaker than E field received ). I dont get a clean loran signal.. It is pretty messed up.

I know that my second amplifier works good as I have tested it with the E field antenna.

What is the problem. Is H field antenna highly sensitive and hence it picks up a lot of noise, reflections.
I thought impedance matching could be a problem... but then the E field works with the same circuit.

Please guide me on this problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is an antenna & propagation forum you might want to try.

Hi all,
Please correct me if I am wrong, which has been known to happen, but isn't LORAN scheduled to be shut down soon? I read back in the late 90's that, due to the popularity and accuracy of GPS, LORAN broadcasts were going to be discontinued (at least by the USCG.) Let me know and thank you.

Scott

In a hundred years, it isn't going to matter anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back