lost in communication with colleagues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldmountain

Materials
Aug 30, 2005
US
hi all,

I am a starter in a relatively big company, quite often I got confused in communication with my colleagues here. Can you help me to understand if the below email is a joke or truely insult?

The context is that I was under the impression that my collegue was going to do sth, and sent him an email to ask if he did it already.

What do you read in this email? How should I respond?

Thanks.

==========

Are you crazy? Do you need your head examined? He he and merry xmas.

Seriously,

I need to talk to you about this, and will call you shortly.

==========

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would interpret it to mean that there is some reason that your request to him was either not possible, or perhaps a career ending move, and that he/she is going to talk to you to give you the background/inside info.

Maybe the big boss threatened to fire anybody who got involved in whatever the issue was, and you're not aware.

I wouldn't take it as an insult, I think it's a way of giving you the heads up that there's a lot more to this story.

Let us know what the result of the call is.

I believe the he he was the respondent laughing, so no, I would not take that as an insult.

As TenPenny said, there may be some background information that you're not aware of.

V

Mechanical Engineer
"When I am working on a problem, I do not think of beauty, but when I've finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."

- R. Buckminster Fuller

The "He he and merry christmas" was the release valve indicating this was in jest...then the "seriously" meant there might be an issue with the original topic and he'd like to speak with you about it..

I'd take it as a light-hearted email - but one with a followup request to speak...not a big deal to me if I got it.

"I'm Joking with you."
Seriously,
"I've managed to push this task on you."

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks a lot for your input. Can you help me to formulate an answer? Is the answer below too weak? Is a phone call more appropriate?

=======

My head must be broken when I thought you were going to do it. Guess my mind went on the wrong way when you said "I have made arrangements" in your earlier email. Anyway I have talked to xxx and she is going to help to complete it.

=======

Seriously,

I need to talk to you about this, and will call you shortly.

Wait for his call.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Wait for his/her call. If you feel the need to respond to the email, simply respond by saying that you'll wait for the call.

Obviously, there is something this person wants to communicate to you, and you would be best advised to wait until you find out what it is.

It is just a very "informal" e-mail that you would write to your friends or someone you are familiar with. Would it make any difference if context of his e-mail was verbal?

I agree with JAE. It was said jokingly. But there is an issue. I wouldn't worry about it. The hehe is the key.

You reponse might be a little harsh IMHO. I always proof read my wife's emails before she sends out a scorcher. She has a habit of unknowingly insulting the intended recipient, her boss, CEO and whoever else reads it all at once ;)
Just wait a day or two for his call. If someone else has offered to help ignore the email.

I agree with JAE. It was said jokingly. But there is an issue. I wouldn't worry about it. The hehe is the key.

He will read your response to mean that you are angry. If thats what you are going for thats fine. But the original email was meant to be lighthearted. I might just ignore it or joke back.

I always proof read my wife's emails before she sends out a scorcher. She has a habit of unknowingly insulting the intended recipient, her boss, CEO and whoever else reads it all at once ;)

coldmountain,

Politely ask the person to explain the email. Lots of people do not express themselves well in writing, and do not think carefully before they hit SEND. This may be just very bad writing.

The email reads a lot like spam to me. Perhaps someone's computer is infected. It is not necessarily that of your co-worker.

JHG

I think the lazy approach is the best, wait for them, since they said they would call you, dont sweat it and just not worry about it.

If you seem them before they called just say, you said you wanted to talk with me about (PROJECT XYZ).

Don't worry. As we say in my country:
"You are making a storm in a glass of water"...
Did you consider that he/she is just teasing you because he/she knows that you are a rookie?
If you really want to figure out the meaning of the email, just give him/her a call. Do not reply by email.

Definitely a joke.

Considering that the joke was made in response to you asking whether he had completed a requested task, he may have been thiking about how buried he was in work and how far your request was down in his priority list. His response resembles what I would often like to say when my boss asks me out of the blue the status of some long-term or low-priority project that I haven't even started, much less finished.

Either way I wouldn't read too much into it.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Wait for him to call, or accidently bump into him or happen to be walking past his office and pop in or similar (only works if in the same office).

He was joking, there's probably more to the story.

Or do as mechengdude suggests and have a Merry Christmas in Jail!

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back