Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lot Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

usaedy

Civil/Environmental
Feb 17, 2005
US
Hello!

I'm a civil engineering technician and need to teach myself some of the basics of calulating lot pads.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources or a quick tutorial on calculating lot pad elevations from site or lot plans?

Or maybe you can drop a few tips for me in this post.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not trying to be UNhelpful in my opening, but sometimes the posts here bewilder me. If one is in training, why isn't one getting training vs. asking here?

Anyhoo...it would be helpful to know what kind of lot you are speaking of. Are these residential lots, or is this a 50 acre parcel with a Walmart and supplementary store pads?

In either case, I get my basic criteria from the client. Often different clients have different desires for some of these things. In residential, for example, one may like a house finished floor two feet above the street...another 3 feet...and another may want the front yard graded at 2% up from the curb. Some may want the house to be the same elevation in the back....another may want it dropping to the back.

Once I have that criteria...I start at the roadway on the higher side of the lot and grade up to the house pad at the minimum slope. I then check that it does not exceed maximum slopes tying in elsewhere. I make sure the surface grades away from the pad. As one sets adjoining pads, one may have to make adjustments. A bit of tail chasing sometimes.

Hope that helps get you started.

check your local drainage ordinances, as minimum finished floor elevations are required to be above flood elevations in the street or any nearby floodplain. Also make sure you have posative drainage away from the building. This is an important detail, often overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back