Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lotus going down the tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think they may be next.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

At a guess Lotus Cars hasn't made a profit since the late 60s, if then. Admittedly a lot of that was due to Chapman financing his interests (good on him). Lotus Engineering probably made money now and again. The corporate fit with Toyota was non existent, GM Germany hated us cos we creamed off the fun jobs, and I imagine Proton are a bit bemused by Hethel.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

My experiecne of Lotus (both Cars & Engineering) where back in the days of Malcolm Sandford, Gary Reid, Rupert Bailey etc. Some very, very clever guys that seemed to run matters well but were almost starved of anything exciting & profitable to.

From a powertrain point of view, Engineering had very little to do with Cars and save for some small time european gasoline engine work & overspill diesel work, plus the tail end of large GM project there was nothing. Not that they couldnt do it - it just didnt seem to be done there?

In my field of 'expertise' they now just do not have the infrastructure to begin a serious project and this is a huge detriment to them.

It really is a shame that, when Cosworth Engineering was bought by Mahle, Lotus was never bought by a viable owner, somebody who would invest in the place and make it work.

Still, Norwich is nice & I've had some good nights out down Prince Of Wales Road.

MS

It's a small world!

As far I know Malcolm is still a Big Cheese on the engine side with Jaguar, don't know about Ralph but heard he went to Caterham.
Both very clever guys but polar opposites on the 'driven' front!

MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back