Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Low-boy trailer vertical curve design

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWC0306

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2010
US
We need to design an access ramp into a site with a 15.5' vertical drop to accomodate a 63' long lowboy trailer. We need some dimensions of tractor/trailer combinations depicting ground clearance, vertical transition and turning radii.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is info you'll have to get from the trailer manufacturer. Most "low boy" trailers do not have sliding axles, so their positions will be fixed. The tractor rear tandem will also be fixed; however, most "5th wheels" have some limited adjustment, but not enough to affect the necessary grade change.

It will make a difference whether you are talking about a true lowboy trailer (used for heavy equipment hauling) or a drop center trailer (also used for equipment hauling, but can be used for container transport). A drop center trailer actually separates into two pieces and is driven onto from the front; whereas, a lowboy is accessed by rear drive on ramps.

A 63-foot trailer is a long trailer. Probably requires a special permit.

Thanks Ron, they will be installing a large crawler crane on the site, probably take 11 trailer loads to complete the crane

So similar to making sure I design a driveway to make exotic cars able to get into their new house.

Did you try contacting the manufacturer for a simple CAD profile of the trailer? I am sure most companies are pretty willing to do that.

I know we were designing a steeper than normal access road for golf carts and a particular manufacturer was very willing to help.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back