Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Low compression pressure in diesel engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromero

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2004
CO
In 3200HP diesel engine we have a particular thermodynamic behavior in a particular cylinder, monitored buy a pressure sensor that relates pressure with crankshaft position and comparing with other cylinders: there are low compression pressure, low peak pressure and a big delay in peak angle. If there are no leaks in the combustion chamber (by rings or valves), what would be the cause of a low compression pressure. We think that maybe there is a difference in volume between chambers (short connnecting rod, etc).

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What sort of Injectors are on the engine? The Hydraulically actuated and electronically controlled injector types are the most sensitive and thus if one of the twelve( i assume a 12 Cylinder Engine)is not firing at optimal capacity, it can lead to loss of compression in the particular chamber.

In a spark ignited engine, the low/late peak would probably be attributed to late firing. I assume this would be true with diesels except it would be injectors instead of spart plugs.

What does low compression do to a diesel? Slower ignition? Maybe a cracked liner? perhaps I am a bit late to reply to this thread.

Thank you for your answers guys. You canf find complete information in another forum submitted in Engine & fuel engineering section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back