Low temperature coolant circuit for turbocharger

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmio3

Automotive
Feb 14, 2014
MY
Hey guys,

I noticed that many european automakers have started to dump not just charge air cooler heat into the low temperature coolant circuit. There are many patents and papers where the low temperature circuit is also used to cool off AC condenser, EGR cooler and electric motor on top of the charge air cooler.

Realistically, does anyone have experience or simulations on whether there is any compromise to the charge air temperature if we dump more than just the hot air from the turbocharger or supercharger?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, typically, the turbocharger is not making a lot of boost for any extended length of time, so it's probably feasible to rely on the thermal mass of the low temp coolant system to handle the momentary needs of the air system. It also seems plausible that the other demands may be temporarily shut-off/bypassed during a time-limited period of high demand from the air system, but I'm just speculating.

"Schiefgehen will, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

I think the original poster can rest assured that the auto manufacturer themselves have the relevant heat loading calculations and simulations, and have sized the low-temperature radiator appropriately ... and are then keeping that calculation for themselves as proprietary information.

Assuming of course that the auto manufacturer is structured so that the departments responsible for the different functions can work together. Just thinking back to the days where base engine dictated the engine cal, vehicle dictated the packaging, then NVH were asked to make it quiet & refined (without changing anything).

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back