Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Low Voltage Motor - Insulation level 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickParker

Electrical
Sep 1, 2017
NL
Is it common for the purchaser to specify an insulation level of 1100V for low voltage motors? I’m having trouble finding the relevant IEC standard that references this "1100V" requirement.?
Low_Voltage_motor_insulation_level_cb5t9x.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could come from ICEA S-95-658-1999 Standard for Nonshielded Power Cables Rated 2000 V or Less for the Distribution of Electrical Energy, which is 1.73 x P-P voltage. May also just be alignment with the end-users' own specifications.

"...Is it common for the purchaser to specify an insulation level of 1100V for low voltage motors? I’m having trouble finding the relevant IEC standard that references this "1100V" requirement.?"
1. I do not locate the terminology insulation level used in the LV motor general specification.
2. My assumption it is referring to the Dielectric test voltage , which is related to the insulation property.
Note: LV <1kV motors should withstand dielectric test at 2kV 50/60Hz 1 min. If that is the case, 1100V is NOT unusually high. All motors should pass the test without any exceptions.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

"...Never seen it in any of the motors I have handled. Also, 65kA for 1 sec? For motors?"
1. I think this is the "general" Basic data template. This template could be a "cut-and paste" in their procurement document. We encounter these flaws very often.
2. I agreed there are flaws:
a) Under installation location
690V 60Hz is unlikely, as 690V is widely used only in the IEC 50Hz locations.
b) 65kA 1s is referring to the short circuit level at the installation location, which is possible/likely. It is NOT in the Motor performance basic data column.
3. For my knowledge, for LV <1kV motors, do you perform Dielectric test voltage at 2kV 50/60Hz 1 min. in your shop, or in your geographical region ?
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back