Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOX production specific energy requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodrons

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2005
FR
Can anyone tell me typical values for the energy requirements for the production of Liquid Oxygen in say kWh/tonne? Some publication must exist somewhere with this sort of information but I would not know where to start looking - a Googlesearch has not turned up much. I need the information to verify my supplier's charges for CO2 surcharging and the supplier is quoting a figure of 700kWh/tonne for both LOX and LIN but with no backup information to support this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is an interesting question Rhodrons.
And, it's not an easy question to answer.

It's not easy because the energy requirments depends on the configuration of the plant, the age of the plant, is the LOX/LIN transported over a large distance?

In an older plant, the energy consumption will be larger due to the reason that the efficiency of older compressors and expanders is smaller. The efficiency of the whole plant will be smaller.

Is the designed to make liquid or is it a plant that is designed to produce mainly gasous products?

Some of our plants make a lot of liquid but we also have a plant we're we can make liquid from excess gas in a special liquifier. In that case our liquid is more expensive because of the extra compression energy.

The CO2 surcharge, is that because of the energy that is used? Something like an environmental tax?

At this point I don't have figures of energy consumption with me. I will do a search to find some.

Good luck,
Cryotechnic

"Math is the ruler of your potential succes...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back