Status
Not open for further replies.

sloop

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2003
US
I have a piece of equipment that has a LP
gas manifold inside the electrical control
panel (110 VAC) with the control relay. There is a seperator between the gas and the electrical sides inside the manufactured ss enclosure. Is this appropriate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's your concern? What purpose are you inquiring if it's appropriate for? Is the panel UL listed? Was the valve factory installed or field installed?

I won't mixed flammable gas equipment (fuel source) and electrical equipment (ignition source) together. An accidental release of gas in the enclosure, will have very high probability of explosion. Unless, the electrical equipment are rated suited for flammable gas environment use. In which case, a ventilation system is recommendated.

The separator provided inside an enclosure may not prevent the gas from migrating to the electrical equipment.

If it's a listed, factory assembled unit, there's no issue whatsoever. LP refrigerators, natural-gas hot water heaters and LP/CNG generators are three examples of commonly used listed equipment that combines gas & electrical in close quarters with no XP devices and no particular separation between gas & electric (other than the gas pipe).

Even for field installations, there's no requirement that electrical installations near gas piping be XP. You can put an electrical outlet or lamp immediately adjacent to your gas meter in your house (actually, I'd recommend putting a lamp right next to the meter, it makes it much easier to read).

Maybe I'm missing the point of your question -- that's why I fired a few of my own back at you. If your question is only whether or not it's OK to put gas piping next to electrical stuff, well the answer is generally yes. Piping, valves, etc., should not leak when installed properly. If they do, then you have a world of problems.

Now, anything that could reasonably be expected to leak gas during maintenance or accidents are generally required to be XP. But your valve & piping do not typically fall into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back