Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPG demand calculations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADAG

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2003
PA
Hello,
I need to calculate the total demand of an LPG system of a building. Anybody has a link where the general procedure is explained.
I have all the items requiring LPG (ovens, water heaters, dryers, washing machines) and their BTU/hr rate. LPG's calorific value which I understand is 2500 BTU/ft3 (Local temperature is around 85ªF, would that make a significant difference in the calorific value?).
Seems like a pretty simple division, however I guess some sort of use factor muste be applied to each appliance to account for non-simultaneous use.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most jurisdictions have a fuel utilization code with tables that will lay out what is required. In any of the ones I'm familiar with, the supply must be sufficient to permit the operation of ALL fired appliances running flat-out, simultaneously.

11 gallons of Propane is about 1 million BTU's of energy, 1 million BTU's of energy is about 1000 cubic feet of natural gas.
Outside air temperature doesn't effect the energy content of fuels.
A typical oven uses 20,000 BTU/hr, a stove burner 15,000, a hot water heater 40,000 BTU/hr, a dryer 25,000, a whole house furnace 80,000 BTU/hr. Pick you average of what may be on at one time.

Are you trying to estimate fuel usage or to determine a basis for designing the fuel distribution system of the building?

For system design, assume that everything must be supplied simultaneously, add some reasonable margin for possible future expansion or additional equipment. Also, be sure to include plenty of vaporizer capacity.

For estimating usage, you need to consider weather patterns and reasonable evaluations of appliance and equipment usage patterns.

In any case, you don't need a link, you need to study and evaluate your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back