Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

LPG fuel vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSP79

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2016
IQ
i would like to do quality assurance jobs for (LPG FUEL SYS install in vehicle) , so i want the standards describing the specification of equipments , procedure of installation , testing and final inspection

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would highly recommend contacting the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or foreign equivalent in your location. Not only can they point you to locally applicable standards, requirements, and legal-eze but also provide formal education and necessary certifications.

i ask if i can see it in ISO, EN, BS ,because NFPA 58 not special for ( lpg fuel vehicle) its general safety requirement for gas piping in building or any site works with gas.

CAN and EN67 references are listed below.

In the copy I have (not current) NFPA 58 includes in Chapter 8 starting with Chapter 8-2 "General Purpose Vehicle Engines Fueled by LP-Gas"

Covers LP general and additional for vehicle container requirements, inspection and re qualification, container appurtenances (valve and fitting requirements), carburetion equipment, vaporizers, piping, installation of containers and appurtenances (location with respect to vehicle structure, static loading requirements for container mountings, markings, road clearance, etc.

US DOT and ASME codes are cited for LP container requirements specific to vehicle use and installation.

-------------------------------------------

The Propane Education and Research Council provides some extensive training material on LP powered vehicle installations:

Quote from their document:
The purpose of this course is not to teach the user how to convert a vehicle to propane, but to enable the user to compare the basic code requirements with other technologies and installation practices and use them as appropriate.

At the time of this publication in the United States, the nationally recognized standards for vehicle conversions are found in National Fire Protection Association manual 58, Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code (NFPA 58). Some states have adopted additional or different code requirements. Users should check with the authority having jurisdiction in their areas to determine which requirements apply.
Additional references:

CAN/CSA-B. 149.5, Canadian Installation Code for Propane Fuel Systems and Tanks on Highway Vehicles

EN67, the European standard for vehicles converted to LP gas

NOTE: Canadian or European conversion standards are referenced to demonstrate that other options are
available and practiced worldwide. It is the installer’s responsibility to determine the appropriate practice
to use for each individual installation.

End of Quote

ECE R67 is the most widely used DESIGN standard but that is for component manufactures, not inspectors. You may find it useful.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Try "en67 lpg" as your search terms in Google. At least two of the links found have the official EN67 spec available. I hope EN is not equivalent to SAE, where such things need to be purchased, apologies to moderators if this is so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back