Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPG (liquid) pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ossareh1352

Structural
Apr 3, 2008
IR
Dear Engineers

For your kind information in our project we have the Liquid LPG pipelines which are going underground through a city to jetty. I have searched many standards for required safety space around these pipes but I could not find any things about liquid pipeline such as LPG and all of them was about gas pipeline. Do you have any references for liquid underground pipeline required safety space around them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Standards for spacing of pipeline to pipeline are 1 foot apart. Buried lines should be 3 feet minimum in rural and 5 to 7 feet minimum in urban.

There is no standard for clearances around a buried pipeline. each operator should look at the exposure and add sufficent engineering and administrative controls to minimize risks.

dear dcasto

1 feet , 3 feet and 7 feet are the spacing between pipeline to pipeline but my question is the clearance between underground R.O.W. for liquid pipeline and other non-industrial area and building which people can live safely.

there are no spacing requirements for buildings other than they can't be OVER the line. I've seen on local community that based a law that buildings must be 10 feet from the edge of a pipeline ROW. I've had a driveway poured over a pipeline and we couldn't stop that. I had a hiway built over a LPG line ans we had to maintain the 3 foot burial depth.

The minimum clearances given above are for adequate construction/installation only, using limited access hand methods. Such clearances will not allow normal progress as would be achieved with large construction machinery. For other installation procedures, more clearance will be required. The above clearances also have nothing to do with minimizing what could be substantial risk factors to the surrounding public, given population densities and growth, ignition cloud radaii, construction activities expected to take place in the future, security and protection (vandalism, unauthorized tapping, etc.) and other particular characteristics (soft soils, subsiding soils, falt lines, high water tables) you might need to accomodate in specific areas.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."-Edison “If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search. I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved 90% of his work.- Tesla

trini, that's where those clarances came from. Nothing else in B31.4. CFR 49-192 & B31.8 have additionals, but for gas pipelines.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."-Edison “If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search. I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved 90% of his work.- Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back