Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

LPILE and LRFD checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

structdtl

Structural
Apr 26, 2020
US
I am using LPILE version 6 to check an existing acip pile and I have a couple of questions:

- When I select the "Use Load and Resistance Factors" option, a warning comes up that says the following:
"Piles with elastic sections cannot be analyzed using LRFD analysis because moment capacity is not specified or computed" what would fall under this category?

- Is there a way to let LPILE know the pile is fixed-head as you would when running the "conventional mode"? My thought is to input the estimated loads with corresponding LC to generate the curves in LRFD and let LPile check structural design of the pile. I would run a separate model to check deflection with unfactored estimated loads.

- Typically a geotech would be running this analysis and providing the moment, shear and deflection values and/or curves in the report. So my question is, does the geotech applies a factor of safety to the loads or the soil values?

I am new to LPile and appreciate any other tips, input, etc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would never use an elastic section as this is not real world. An elastic section can bend and deform until you reach you default deflection limit which is something like 2m if I remember correctly. Use the section that allows you to input the existing piles rebar.

Yes, in the pile details you can set it to zero slope and zero shear, corresponding to free or fixed condition.

I cant speak for all geotechs, but when I do an L pile analysis, we typically use deflection as the limiting criteria. Load corresponding to half inch or 12mm deflection being called the allowable load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back