Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LSDyna Shell Element Stress Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumpmaster

Structural
Jan 19, 2006
US
I'm recieving output data from a subcontractor who analyzed a structure using 4 node shell elements. They sent me a sketch of what they think are the local coordinate orientation with respect to the nodes (e.g. the local x direction points from node 1 to node 2) and the local stress output, but I'd like to bounce it off of another source to confirm their assumptions. I looked through the LSDyna theory manual but I didn't see any figures which showed either the local axis orientation or the stress output orientation. This is the first program I've experienced that doesn't have that information readily available.

Does anyone have a resource which shows this (I'd like to see it on a figure)? I think the local axis orientation is correct, but I'd really like to confirm the stress output. Some programs call Mx a moment which creates a force on the x face and some define it using the right hand rule. I've also seen one that defines it using the left hand rule.

I'm not analyzing anything personally, I'm just trying to double check my subcontractors output.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back