Lube oil piping 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspector89

Mechanical
May 26, 2018
IN
Hi guys,

Why do lube oil piping has seepages from flage connections. How to prevent these kind of seepages.

Thanks in advanve.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why - Because the joint hasn't been installed correctly or the bolts tightened incorrectly

How to prevent - Do it properly and use correct (new) gasket on clean flanges and tighten bolts in correct order to correct torque in stages.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Inspector89,
You should give careful consideration to what LittleInch has told you.
My thoughts include:
1) What size is the "Lube Oil" piping? (Some Lube Oil jobs involve tubing instead of pipe.)
2) "Lube Oil" sounds like the type of machines that includes lots of vibrations.
3) High Vibration can cause Flanged Connections to spawn leaks.
4) If you switch to Tubing and the right kind of joints (and connections) you can reduce leaks caused by vibrations.

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Hi,

There could be may thing wrong. In order to narrow our guesses and pinpoint you in right direction, some additional information wouldn't hurt:
1. System design and operating pressure.
2. Leaking Flange material and rating and quantity of leaking flanges.
3. Location of flange in the system, with hand made sketch.
4. Picture of leaking flange wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
Curtis

IMG_6587_tbdihs.jpg

These lube oil lines are for the compressors. Sizes are differing from 1" to 8".
Some lines are carbon steel and some lines are of stainless steel. ASME rating Class 150. Operating temp ambient to 100 deg C.
Around 20% of the flanges were noted with minor non continous seepage as in the above photos.
I think this is due to damaged gaskets and with inadequate toquing of flange fasteners.

I have inspected similar kind of lube oil in my previous company and it was in similar condition. Leaks from flanges and from tubing connections. In general, I feel plants do not care much about lube oil piping and tubing as they do not pose severe threat in case of leak.

IMO, the lube oil could be a critical system especially for the rotating equipment such as a compressor.
It seems that the lube oil leak of the "multiple" flanges could be due to the high piping pressure which is greater than the operating pressure of Class 150. Suggest to verify the real pressure of the operation for the lube oil system, and ensure the proper pressure rating of the piping system.

Yes, the minor oil leaking might not be a big deal since it may have a oil tank system for backup. However, it may be a potential safety issue to cause a fire hazard of the equipment or a slip or fall accident to the personnel.

Often the issue is one where like this example the blind is removed from time to time but note one uses a new gallery or cleans the faces properly or torques it up correctly.

Lube oil seepage can be deadly on smooth surfaces and slips increase risk to personnel hugely. I would play the safety card if you want anything done.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back