Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lubrication verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

donniev

Industrial
Jul 29, 2004
US
On a production line, we assemble wheel hubs to axle spindles for heavy duty semi-trailers. Then lubrication is added in the form of 80W gear oil or semi-fluid grease. Problem is that after solid hubcap is assembled, how to verify that the lubrication has been added. This issue is very serious due to the lubrication being essential for operation of wheel bearings. No lube = melted bearings and spindles = catastrophic wheel failure. Wheels flying off a tractor trailer loaded with two steel coils is something that we want to avoid. Is there any method of checking this - examples UT, flow metering?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the weight consistent on the assembly. I would weigh the assembly if there was a substantial amount of oil in the assembly. Depends on the consistency of the part weights.

Can you test to determine if it sounds or feels different after tapping it with an object; brass or aluminum or etc..?

If I remember right those "bearing buddies" were see through to visually check for lube.

I would assume, on a production line, that consistency would be the key. Red-tag with a "NO LUBE" warning, or don't install the lube plug until after it is filled. As long as the process is followed each time, there should be no question. Other than that, I beleive there are caps that have a sight guage installed, if you don't mind the extra expense.

Russell Giuliano

How about using a "LUBED?" punch tag taped on the axle that must be confirmed as punched in order for the next part in the assembly operation to progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back