Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lug support band in Compress

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbtkc

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2007
US
I have a vertical vessel that is supported by 4 lugs. Instead of each lug having its own re pad, there is a continuous reinforcing band welded to the vessel. The 4 lugs are welded to this band. Is there any way to model this band as a pad in Compress or Nozzlepro?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

COMPRESS does not offer the option to specify a continuous reinforcing band. Personally, this type of construction would concern me unless the support lug extended through the "wrapper" and attached directly to the shell (and this detail should likely be followed except for small or light pressure pressure).

In any case, the effect of such a band on the lugs and stresses in the shell would seem to be small. How would this band help?

If something like this is thought necessary I would use a narrow shell course of the total shell thickness (original shell + proposed band).

"Although this forum is monitored by Codeware it is not intended as a venue for technical support and should not be used as the primary means of technical support."

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back