Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

M.A.J. (Fred) Matich

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
My mentor/rabbi has been in the geotechnical business a long time especially since he studied under Terzaghi and Casagrandes. At age 91 and still active - including review boards and reviews of tailings dams, he is an amazing engineer with a memory of which I am in awe.

His love is flying . . . he has flown, as a seconded pilot in both the P-51 and Spitfire. Years ago, I found a telephone (remember them?) of an airplane flying - so had to buy it for him! He has written many papers including the use of Osmosis to improve clay soils (with Leo Casagrande) and also wrote a paper on the civil engineering aspects of the bombing of the heavy water dams (Dam Busters). One of his recent papers in the Canadian Geotechnical Conference is on Geotechnics of Land to Sea . . . in the paper he presents information on 3 military aspects where geotechnical engineering had an influence.

As many might know, there is a GeoLegends section in Strata Magazine and I put his name in years ago - it seems - and his interview is being published in the magazine in September. I thought that I would give you all an advanced read . . . "keep it quiet!"
[cheers]

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=76641927-f84d-4470-b66a-bf44a5078f46&file=2020-09.10_GeoStrata;_Lessons_From_GeoLegends,_M.A.J.(Fred)_Matich.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back