Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine Part Work Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg21

Industrial
Aug 13, 2014
ES
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to determine the work life of various machine parts. I have tried contacting the manufacturer, but they do not have any information on the subject.

So far, I have started a database of dates when parts were changed, and then planning on getting an average amount of days a part was being used before it was changed. So far, my data is having a lot of variation.

Any advice on how to get more accurate data?

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Calendar schedule of when parts were replaced does not directly represent their life.

Were they actually replaced because they wore out from use or other factor - e.g. some components break down over time even if the machine is not being used.

What was their duty cycle, 24/7/52 or 8/5/47 or ....

Is their wear even through out use, or at certain stages do they see more wear e.g. at startup/shut down?

Are the machines all being used similarly e.g. a tool operating at 10% capacity may last longer than one working at 100% capacity in any critical spec.

Even if you got a massive amount of data of how long between changing parts, if the relevant usage conditions aren't taken into account, it's difficult to come up with a good life estimate. Best you could take a conservative value e.g. 5th percentile and use this as 'typical life dependent on usage conditions' or something.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Do you have hour meters on the machines ? If you can record hours as well as stop start cycles it will help.
It would also help if you told us what type of machines they were. Are you dealing with conveyors, loaders, milling machines, lathes, bearings, motors etc.
The type of machine greatly affects the duty cycle.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

What kind of machine parts? Machine tools? Or what?
If it is machine tools that would be close to impossible to determine. Why, because too many variables, like are you using the default speed parameters or did you speed them up or slow them down? What kind of loads are you putting on the machine? What kind of materials are you cutting on the machine? What coolants are you using? What are the conditions in the shop? If you want to know how long your machines will last, start calling on other shops that use the same types and brands of machines, and you will get a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back